KNOXVILLE – Some notes and observations from Tennessee’s Wednesday evening practice at Neyland Stadium:
• Miami Heat coach Erik Spoelstra remained in Knoxville and was at practice through at least all of the open portion. Here’s a link to this morning’s practice if you missed any details about his visit.
• Running back Marlin Lane was out of the non-contact jersey after spending the last several days with one on. The only new noticeable injury was freshman wide receiver Ryan Jenkins, who spent the evening working out with trainers and fellow injured receiver Paul Harris.
• The offense and defense worked on plays inside the 10-yard line. Here were the results of the eight-play drill:
- Pig Howard dropped a pass in the end zone from Justin Worley
- Worley couldn’t find an open receiver and threw the ball away
- Tight end Alex Ellis was well-covered by linebacker Kenny Bynum in the end zone and couldn’t haul in a diving catch
- Rajion Neal was tackled at the 2-yard line by defensive tackle Maurice Couch
- Devrin Young caught a 9-yard touchdown from Nathan Peterman
- Danny O’Brien sacked Peterman
- Peterman's pass to Young was incomplete near the goal line
- Tom Smith was stopped at the 2-yard line by linebacker John Propst
• The Vols won’t practice Thursday, but will host media day Thursday afternoon at Neyland Stadium. There is expected to be some form of updated uniform unveiling at that event. Here’s a teaser video put out by UT on Wednesday.
Daniel Lewis covers Tennessee football for Nooga.com. Follow him on Twitter @DanielNooga
Sign up for our email list to get your morning news delivered directly to your inbox. All we need is your email address.