KNOXVILLE – Tennessee announced its official spring football roster on Monday evening and rising sophomore running back Quenshaun Watson is no longer on it.
Watson, a native of Athens, Ga., appeared in six games as a true freshman in 2012. He had 23 carries 66 yards and one touchdown. He was the fourth-string running back behind Rajion Neal, Marlin Lane and Devrin Young in 2012.
A top track athlete in high school, Watson was a consensus three-star recruit out of Clarke Central (Ga.) High School. He was one of the fastest players on Tennessee’s roster and was thought to have potential as a change-of-pace back and return specialist in the future.
Watson’s departure leaves Tennessee with Neal, Lane, Young along with Tom Smith and Alden Hill as the five scholarship running backs expected to return in 2013. Though there are no current commitments at that position, the Vols are pursuing multiple running backs in recruiting, such as five-star Derrick Green of Richmond, Va.
Other roster notes:
• The five 2013 recruits who enrolled last week are all listed with position, height and weight along with a jersey number:
- Defensive back Riyahd Jones (6-0, 186) will wear No. 21.
- Wide receiver Paul Harris (6-4, 195) will wear No. 81.
- Linebacker Corey Vereen (6-2, 230) will wear No. 50.
- Lemond Johnson (6-1, 190) is listed as an ‘athlete’ and will wear No. 28.
- Jalen Reeves-Maybin (6-1, 200) is also listed as an ‘athlete’ and will wear No. 34.
*Johnson and Reeves-Maybin are both most likely to play defense, but could get a look on offense as well.
• The Vols currently have 66 players on scholarship, including the new enrollees. The maximum allowed is 85.
• Jason Croom is listed as a wide receiver for now. There had been discussion of him playing tight end under the former coaching staff. Greg King is listed as a linebacker after helping provide depth at tight end last season.
Sign up for our email list to get your morning news delivered directly to your inbox. All we need is your email address.